Monday, May 24, 2010

How do I go about purchasing a SIM card in the US for use in international European travel?

I'm going to be traveling to Europe in a couple weeks, and I'm trying to get cell phone service while I'm there. I've got my hands on an unlocked GSM phone, but I'm curious how I go about purchasing a SIM card for use in international travel. I know that you can buy SIM cards for one country at a time, but can you buy a SIM card that will work in multiple countries? Are there any companies in the US that sell these SIM cards so that I could buy one before I travel? Thanks!

How do I go about purchasing a SIM card in the US for use in international European travel?
Actually, torskie is somewhat correct. you will need an unlocked QUADBAND GSM phone. Quadband allows you to use it anywhere in the world.





But wrong about that you only need the phone. You do need a prepaid SIM card. And it's only possible to buy a SIM card for multiple countries IF that service is availble in that country. I'm posting a link at the bottom that lists a SIM card that will work in multiple countries; I hope this helps you.
Reply:No. It's not the SIM card you need, but a tri band or quad band phone. I have a Motorola V220 for instance, which works fine in Europe with Cingular service. The calls are expensive, but can be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment